Abgineh Museum (Glassware & Ceramic Museum ) the beautiful mansion housing glass wares and ceramics was first ordered to be built as the personal residence of a politician named Ahmad Qavam in early 1920s. The building was occupied by him as residence and office up to 1953 when it was sold to the Egyptian embassy. At last, in 1976, it was converted into a museum following some repairs and changes.
The objects exhibited in this museum, which is also called Abgineh Museum, belong to a span of time beginning from pre-Islam period up to the contemporary Iran.
Achaemenian and Islamic periods, plain terra cotta vessels from the pre-Christian era, primitively glazed terra cotta wares from the 3rd millennium BC and Islamic period terra cotta vessels, library.
The main establishment of the museum that occupies an area of 1040 square meters is a two-storey octagonal building with suspended pillars and a basement. It is situated on the entrance side of the premises. The architectural style of the building is a combination of the traditional Iranian style and the European architecture of the 19th century.
The first floor is connected to the second one through wooden steps in Russian style. Prior to the time when the building was transferred into the Egyptian embassy, the entrance of the museum was doomed-shaped but was later flattened.
Parts of the walls in the basement are decorated in traditional style with big tiles. Double windows have been used in the architecture of the building instead of terrace and wooden doors have been installed behind the windowpanes in order to regulate the light and temperature of the interior of the building. The exterior and interior of the museum comprise such decorations as brick works, plaster works, mirror works and inlaid works.
About 50 types of bricks in various designs and with different geometric and floral patterns have been used in the exterior of the building and are reminiscent of the fine arts of the Seljuk era.
The interior plaster works belong to three periods:
a) Plaster works dating back to the time of the construction of the building (Qavam-ol-Saltaneh) that could be seen in parts of the entrance hall and some other halls.
b) Plaster works that were made at the time when the building was turned into the Egyptian embassy examples of which could be seen at the Mina and Bolour halls as well as in the basement.
c) Plaster works that were made in 1984 by the Islamic Republic as a combination of calligraphy and painting that could be seen in the entrance hall of the second floor.
Mirror works in citron-like or geometric designs could be seen in the second floor of the museum on the borders of plaster works.
Inlaid works could be seen on doors and margins of the steps mostly in floral designs.
In order to see the map, please install WP Flexible Map.